You may have researched oil companies thoroughly and then came to the obvious conclusion that YL’s company, ethics, products, and people are unmatched in the industry….. OR, you may have accidentally stumbled across Young Living and joined the wellness journey just because you like things that smell good!
Regardless, I’d like to focus for a minute on the absolute science behind these biblical era products you’ve brought into your home. You see, as a medical professional with a strong science background….Well……that is what brought me to Young Living. Frankly, I didn’t even care what the products smelled like as long as they worked!
At its very core, YL’s focus is one of purity and consistent effectiveness. No other essential oil company on the planet is as committed (or able!) as Young Living to ensure that their product (our product) retains its therapeutic effectiveness when that little bottle of magic is sealed. What does that mean?
Think of an essential oil like a chocolate chip cookie (I know, weird analogy… work with me here!). The essential oil that comes from a plant is comprised of natural chemical structures called constituents (think ingredients). Every constituent (ingredient) plays a vital role in making that oil “work its magic” in our bodies. If key constituents are compromised in the process, it will probably smell the same, but it sure won’t work! (Just like a chocolate chip cookie…. if you leave out a key ingredient like flour, sugar, butter etc, it might smell similar, but it sure won’t taste the same!).
Constituents are very delicate and can be easily altered and destroyed in the oil distillation process, and for maximum therapeutic value, each and every batch of oils must be tested multiple times during the distillation to ensure they are protected. This is done by gas chromatography (see the video below for a little more info on that process). No other company has their own farms and dedicated partner farms who must contractually abide by the same testing procedures to protect these valuable molecules.
In addition to protecting the constituents within the oils, Young Living has several other “non-negotiables” that we can be guaranteed by using YL products. The oils are guaranteed to be free of:
- Contaminants (plasticizers, pesticides, trace solvents etc)
- Biocides (chemical pesticides, herbicides, fungicides etc that are frequently used in agriculture)
- Solvents (benzene… a known carcinogen, cyclohexane) & Phthalates (plasticizing agents commonly used to liquify more resinous oils)
- Adulteration (adding substances in order to dilute an oil). This is a very common issue with other oil brands. If you find a normally ‘expensive’ oil for an inexpensive price….. don’t walk…. RUN…. from that product! Adulteration has taken place.
- Exposure to excessive heat and pressure during the distillation process. (While higher pressures and temperatures do make the distillation faster, it nearly always ensures destruction of key constituents)
I did not choose to use Young Living products without some serious thought and research. And I’ll be honest, it took several years to find them. Looking back, before finding Young Living, I used oils from companies with no true trail, and no commitment to supplying me with superior effective product. My ignorance ‘before YL’ shames me… especially as a pharmacist.
If you already use YL products, know that you have made a brilliant decision in your choice to become part of the Young Living family. Whether you intentionally did it or not, you hit the wellness jackpot. Well done my friend! Well done!